The Segmentation Builder allows you to create new and custom segments of your subscribers. With this feature, you can create your own customer segment based on conditions set by you. You can use the dropdowns to set specific conditions and pair them to create a highly specific condition.
How it Works
Here’s how the segmentation builder works:
1. Define your conditions: Using the different conditions available, you can build an audience segment and add “AND/OR” operators to make your segment more specific.
2. Save the segment: Once created, the segment is either usable right away with the ‘Active’ tab or is queued in ‘In Progress’ tab and will just take a few minutes to be computed.
3. Use the segment to send campaigns: Once created and available in the ‘Active’ tab, you can start sending campaigns to the segment via your campaign creator.
There are 8 conditions you can use to create your segment:
1. Clicked: Define your audience segment based on how often they clicked on your notifications and when.
How to use this condition: Send notifications to highly engaged subscribers or to subscribers who never click to turn that inactive subscriber active.
2. Purchased: Define your audience segment based on how often they purchased and the time frame within which they purchased.
How to use this condition: Target loyal and repeat shoppers or shoppers who you want to convert more.
3. Subscribed: Define your audience segment based on when they subscribed to your store.
How to use this condition: Target subscribers who recently subscribed to you or shoppers who have been long-time subscribers.
4. Country: Define your audience segment based on their country.
How to use this condition: You can include or exclude subscribers from a specific country.
5. Region: Define your audience segment based on the region they are from.
How to use this condition: Include subscribers who are from a specific region.
6. City: Define your audience segment based on the city they are from.
How to use this condition: Include or exclude subscribers from a specific city.
7. Customer Tag: Define your audience segment based on the customer tag you used to tag them on your store.
How to use this condition: Target subscribers who are tagged with a specific customer tag.
8. Purchased from collection: Define your audience segment based on the collection that the shopper purchased from.
How to use this condition: Target subscribers who bought from a specific collection to cross-sell other products.
Frequently Asked Questions
For ‘Purchased from collection’, which collection name do I have to enter?
We currently only look for exact matches with your collection names so please enter the full and correct collection name in order for the segmentation condition to compute.
How do I target subscribers that never purchased or never clicked?
You can set Clicked or Purchase to ‘Exactly` = `0`.
Can I create a segment that has 0 subscriber count?
Yes, you may create segments that currently have no subscribers. PushOwl automatically updates your segments to include subscribers (existing and future) who meet the conditions you have specified.
How often are subscriber segments calculated?
We calculate subscriber segments once every 2 hours. Subscriber segments are also re-calculated if you send a campaign to that segment.
Does ‘Clicked’ condition include subscribers who also clicked on an automated notification?
Answer: Yes. Clicks on campaigns as well as automations are considered for this segment condition.
Can I edit a segment after publishing?
Yes, you can edit a segment you have created if you haven’t used it yet to send a campaign. Click on the ‘Actions’ menu next to the segment and select ‘Edit’ from the dropdown.
Walkthrough: How to Build a Segment
1. On the Segments page on your PushOwl Dashboard, click on ‘New Segment’.
2. Name your segment. It’s best to name your segment based on the conditions to easily identify it later on.
3. Click on ‘Select condition’ to start building your segment.
4. Click on the type of condition you want to segment your audience with. For this example, we are using ‘Purchased’ since we want to target loyal shoppers.
5. Click on the frequency dropdown to define how often the shopper purchased.
6. If you choose ‘more than’ or ‘less than’ from the dropdown, you will be provided a numerical field to specify the number.
7. You also need to specify the time frame within which the condition should be fulfilled. For this example, we selected ‘Less than’ ‘365’ days ago.
8. You can add more conditions based on your requirements by clicking on the ‘OR’ or ‘AND’ operators.
Note: You will also notice that you can see the ‘Estimated subscriber count’ when creating your segment. This can help you understand the volume of the segment.
9. You can follow the same process again if you want to add more conditions.
10. For this example, we want to target US subscribers. So, we have selected ‘Country’ and picked ‘United States’ from the list of countries.
11. Once all your conditions are defined, check the ‘Estimated Subscriber Count’. This number has to be larger than 1. To start sending campaigns to the segment, it’s best to have a volume of 10+ subscribers.
12. Recheck your conditions and then click ‘Create Segment’.
Your segment has been created! If required, it will take a few hours to be processed and will be available in the ‘In Progress’ tab.
Once available for use, it will be shown on the ‘Active’ tab.
Here, you can see the ‘Segment definition’, number of subscribers, campaigns sent, etc.