Having trouble opting in to and receiving web push notifications from your store even after setting up PushOwl? Here's how you can troubleshoot this.
1. Ensure that you've enabled opt-in
If you haven't seen or been able to opt-in to your website's web push notifications, you need to check if you have your opt-in enabled.
Go to your "Opt-Ins" page on your PushOwl dashboard and check if you've chosen either "Browser Prompt" or "Custom Prompt". If not, switch to either of these opt-in types.
Recommended: Browser prompt will capture more subscribers and we recommend enabling this opt-in type.
2. Click on "Allow" to start receiving notifications
Check to see if you've opted in to receive notifications from your site. You will be shown the browser prompt when you land on your site.
You can manually check if you've opted in to web push notifications by clicking on the lock icon on your address bar.
You'll see if you've opted in to notifications here. You can click on the dropdown here and manually change your preference to "Allow" if you initially blocked notifications.
3. Ensure that you aren't on iOS (the device is not supported)
You won't be shown a browser prompt nor receive web push notifications on an iOS device since iOS currently does not support web push notifications. Apple plans to release support for web push in the future but until then, no web push notification app can send notifications to iOS devices.
4. Ensure that you aren't on a private (incognito) browser
Web push notifications don't work on private browsers. Incognito and private modes are temporary and due to this, the browser cannot collect and store subscription data which is required to later send web push notification.
5. Ensure that your device settings allow notifications
You may also not be receiving notifications because your device settings restrict notifications. Here's how you can solve it on different devices:
1. Go to "Settings" and click on "Apps"
2. From the app list, click on "Chrome"
3. Click on "Notifications" and switch on "Show notifications".
1. Go to "Settings" and click on "Notifications and actions"
2. Ensure that "Banners, Sounds" is toggled on for "Google Chrome"
1. Open "System Preferences" and click on "Notifications"
2. Click on "Google Chrome" and ensure the toggle is on for "Allow Notifications from Google Chrome".
6. Check if you have "Do Not Disturb" or "Focus Assist" switched on
You may not be receiving notifications if you have switched on "Do Not Disturb" (on Mac) and "Focus Assist" (on Windows) for specific hours during the day.
On Mac, open "System Preferences", click on "Notifications", and click on "Do Not Disturb". You can see if this setting is turned on and how long do not disturb is enabled.
On Windows, go to "Focus Assist" from "Settings" and check if you have switched it on.
If you are still having trouble receiving web push notifications from your site, you can contact our support team from the in-chat window here or through the PushOwl dashboard.